Effective 1 to 1's
How do you make your one to one effective? BNI provides us with these tips:
1. Focus on one member per meeting and schedule your meeting at their place of business if possible. It really helps to see someone if their work environment. Schedule a meeting to focus on the other member for the next week before you leave.
2. Remember your purpose. This is a BUSINESS meeting and act as if your co-member were your biggest client…i.e., be on time and focus on the agenda of the meeting- don’t answer calls, texts, or get distracted, etc. This doesn’t mean you can’t relax and enjoy getting to know each other but remember the purpose of these meetings is to train your co-members to give you referrals…not socialize.
3. Prepare and Share your worksheets and email to them at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting. One to one worksheets include the Bio Sheet, GAINS worksheet, Previous 10 Customers worksheet, and the Contact Sphere Planning Sheet. Be sure to take these sheets with you to the meeting. (Note: our chapter will be working on having these accessible online so you can fill them out once and save them to your hard drive).
4. Commit and Agree on Goals. BNI suggests having one prospective short-term referral and one prospective long-term referral on your to do list before you leave. You will also want to pick some folks from your partner’s “Top 3” list and invite them for the following week.
5. Review your notes and to-do items the day and the week after you meet so you can get the information in your long term memory.
Again, the key to giving and getting referrals is having effective one to ones! Tips and suggestions get added edited and deleted, so by all means send us any suggestions. We are happy to receive, share, publicise and learn from good tips and share them with BNI and other interested Networkers. Content for this post came from